Black Gal, White Guy discusses the events of Charlottesville within a larger discussion of how to respond nonviolently to extreme hatred.
- Listener question: How do we deal with the pendulum swinging too far the other way to leave boys and men behind? (0:35)
- Steve’s recommendation: a meme “Racism scale: where do you fall” from the Medium article “How America Spreads the Disease that is Racism by not Confronting Racist Family Members and Friends” (image below). (11:01)
- Ebony’s recommendation: A Syllabus for White People to Educate Themselves by Christena Cleveland. (14:02)
- Ebony responds to Accidental Courtesy, one of Steve’s previous recommendations. (17:00)
- How Christians dedicated to peace and justice can best show up in times with so much explicit hatred including neo-Nazis and the KKK. (22:23)
- Whether there are any exceptions to the Anabaptist non-violence ethic. (27:20)
- Ebony’s feelings on the position of non-violence. (30:39)
- How Steve responds to others who will use violence toward the same goals, such as anarchists and antifa groups. (37:44)
To email Ebony and Steve, send to email@example.com.
You can watch from YouTube embedded below, or play through the audio podcast, available directly below or through various podcast directories/apps.
- New York Times: How to Make Fun of Nazis
- Gathering the Stones: Before You Punch a Nazi: A New Anabaptist Response to White Supremacy
- Austin Channing Brown: Our Work Just Got Harder
- April Yamasaki: How to Pray against Racial Hostility
- By Their Strange Fruit: #Charlottesville
- Ebony Johanna: What More Can I Say?