Four MennoNerds gathered in a panel to discuss the relationship between the Church and academia, just in time for back-to-school season. In this part 1, they cover questions like:
- What is academia?
- In what ways does the Church need academia?
- In what ways does the academy need the Church?
- How can we build better bridges between the Church and academia than often exists, at least in some segments of the Church?
- What advice would you give to somebody considering entering the academic world?
- What kind of sacrifices are involved in a life of academics?
Note that we had a lot of technical difficulties with this one. We’ve done what we can with editing, but a few things might stand out, like:
- Katelin introduces herself and then disappears for half an hour (mic problems)
- Deborah doesn’t quite seem to be part of the conversation, with nobody really acknowledging her points (they didn’t know them, again because of mic problems; she recorded again later to be inserted in the right spots)
- The video for the main recording is out of sync with the audio (seems to be happening with any Google Hangout on Air edited in Adobe Premiere CS6)
If you have suggestions for better technical solutions for free, please email our podcast coordinator using the Contact form and specifying Podcasts. If you want to donate so we can get better podcasting equipment, you can also do that from the Donate page.